.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Chatting with David Beckham on ESPN

On Friday, Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder David Beckham stopped by ESPN's Sportsnation to chat about the upcoming 2011 MLS season. Fans sent in questions and David answered the following ones...

Tim: What are you doing to prepare yourself for Tuesday's match against Seattle? How do you feel about this season' s team?
David: I'm excited to be honest. It's one of those games that you look forward to. Seattle is a great franchise. It's one of the atmospheres that's closest to a European game. I'm excited. I'm ready for the season. I wanted to make sure my fitness was right, that's why I went to Tottenham. I've been working hard.

Brian: What country has better food, England or the U.S.?
David: There's definitely more variety in the U.S. I've always loved coming to the U.S. and eating traditional American food. But there's a lot I miss about London and England food.

Steve: How is the health? Will you be ready for teh start of the season?
David: Yeah, I would say I'm 100% right now. Last season was difficult with the injury. I've had certain points of the game where I had some difficulty with pain. But I've worked hard this season and gotten my body back to where it needs to be. I'm very close.

Chris: David, where did you come up with the art idea for your new tattoo? how painful was it to get that tattoo?
David: It was almost altogether a 12 hour session. The first 8 hours was one session and I went back a week later to get it touched up. It wasn't painful at all. I don't mind the pain, to be honest, with the tattoos. It was something that I had never had a tattoo done in the U.S. I knew about Mark and his work. Knew how good he was. He looked at my other tattoos and knew what I liked. The majority of my tattoos are family orientated or has a meaning. Three cherubs for my three sons. It has a religious feel. That's what I like.

Vinny Baker: do you want to play in England again before you finish your career ?
David: Who knows. I had a great career in England for 12-13 years. I've always said that I never wanted to play for another English club, because Manchester United is such a great club. I'm getting older now and I don't have many years left. This is my last contract year, but who knows what will happen.

Brighid: How has playing in the MLS affected you as a player?
David: Ithink it has affected me in a good way. I've been able to experience playing in another country. The experience I've had in the game, I've tried to bring to the game. I've seen the growth of the game the last few years. Iv'e enjoyed that.

Reid: Mr. Beckham, what were your first thoughts when you transitioned to the MLS?
David: I was excited. I always knew it was going to be a challenge. Soccer not being the No. 1 sport in this country, it's always going to be a challenge to raise the profile of it. I always said it won't happen over night, it will happen in 5-10 years. Over time it will get to be one of the better leagues. That's an exciting prospect. There is no reason that can't happen over time.

MartaMUFC: What was your relationship with Sir Alex Ferguson?
David: My relationship with him was always great. In any job, you have your moments with the manager or the owners of the team. I probably had two moments where it was probably highlighted in the press more than what was going on. He was a father figure to me, still is, he gave me my first chance to play for the club that I love.

Eric G: At your age, how do you maintain the condition you are in?
David: I've been lucky throughout my career. I've always looked out for myself. Gotten my rest when I need to. I'm a determined person. I'm determined to look after myself. At 35 to be able to play at a high level, I consider myself lucky.

George: What do you hope your legacy will be as a player?
David: Obviously, I'm hoping that people remember me as a football player that's had success in not just one country but two countries. Winning 6 championships in Manchester, winning with Real, some success in L.A.

And David's closing words...
I just want to say thank you for the support. I've had so much support in this country both on and off the field. I've enjoyed playing for the Galaxy. It's been incredible. Thank you to the fans. Please continue to support.
source: ESPN & DM